Sunday, August 29, 2010

My bridal weekend in Miami

"To love someone deeply gives you strength.
Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage."
- Lao Tzu


One of the biggest tasks for the bride-to-be is selecting the perfect wedding gown. There are so many options and styles to choose from that it can turn into a daunting task. My friend Jessica came to my rescue to help me locate the perfect dress. She planned an extravagant bridal weekend trip to Miami. We ventured across the state on Friday and spent the night before our shopping excursion relaxing poolside.
While relaxing, I read a magazine article with tips on selecting the perfect gown. It said the dress is the focal point of the wedding. I'm not sure I agree with that, but I do think it's a big part of the wedding. The gown makes a statement about who the bride is. It showcases her style and personality and I really want a dress that captures all of that for me.
We woke up early Saturday for our retail therapy. She made appointments at some fabulous boutiques that treated me like a princess. I tried on dozens of gowns including ones from Vera Wang and Oscar de le Renta. The fabrics and detailing were amazing. Sure they come with a price tag, but some of them are worth it.
There were so many choices except for straps - like 90 percent of the gowns are strapless. Good thing... I'm not against strapless. I had so much fun looking at accessories, hair pieces and experimenting with sashes. These are relatively new and I love the idea. These sashes come in a variety of colors and with all different types of embellishments. They completely change the look of the gown and add some personalization. Plus, you can change the sash for a different look for the reception instead of wearing a different gown.
We had such a great trip and I have a better sense of what will work best for my body and what type of dress I want. I think I have it narrowed down to a few choices, but am still going to do a bit more exploring before deciding on "the one."

-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment